Thursday 31 January 2013

In your own time

I really hate the anxious, heart-wrenching anticipation of waiting to hear back about really important, potentially life-changing things. OK, it's not like I just had a tumor scanned or am waiting to hear back about my HIV results (negative - took it before China), but the more mundane - but arguably equally important - waiting game. Having just applied for about 1 billion vacation schemes with deadlines of, oh wait, today, I would rather they either got back to me immediately, or not at all. I know the majority will be rejections, but after an hour and a half an application form turns into your beloved child and you find that you're convincing yourself, as well as the firm, that you actually want to work for them. 

I've also applied for an academic competition where I had to write an essay about something or the other. Deadline: tomorrow. Outcome: uncertain. When will they get back to me? We can only speculate. I would appreciate it if they would get back to me immediately if I've lost though - if you don't like me, tell me upfront. Don't wait for a week and a day just to be 'sorry to inform me that I was unsuccessful due to the large number of applicants, and on this occasion be unable to provide specific feedback but hope that this result does not deter you from living the rest of your life as opposed to throwing yourself rather dramatically from the first floor window of your rented accommodation'. I hate this. 

Generally speaking, however I also hate waiting for: exam results, essays, 'group work' feedback, presentation feedback, what-christmas-present-did-i-get-oh-i-see-it-wasn't-my-first-choice-but-that's-still-ok, general feedback, email responses, buses, and many, many more.

And the thing is I can't even delete an application when it's done -  not only
will I need it for reference when I "get an interview" (lol), but also they really
help when filling in other forms...
And so, in response to this feeling of not wanting to hang around for the weekend only to count my rejection emails on Monday, I've decided to run away to the Lake District instead. I've heard there's no internet. Perfect. Don't worry, I'm taking my dissertation with me. Joy.

Await photos.
Xx

3 comments:

  1. Though throwing yourself out the 1st floor window may seem dramatic, it's ultimately very sad. This is because you're unlikely to be seriously hurt and may instead just hurt someone walking by (very happy at getting a successful response to an application), which is just embarassing.

    We've all been there. Hang in there girl. By the way, we ALWAYS got you your 1st choice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, through a sheer determination very similar to the one that is currently wearing me down...

      Delete
  2. Baby girl, you got to take it easy. I know that horrible feeling of waiting to hear about the outcome of a job interview and so does everyone else who have applied for jobs and have also had to play the waiting game.
    Unfortunately, the results are not always immediate. When one thinks about the number of persons who replied and applied for a single job advert, the selection process, interview preparation, the interview, the deliberation after every successful shortlisted candidate have been interviewed, the whittling down of successful applicants, the phoning, letter writing and everything else that goes into selecting the right shortlist for the job; believe you me, the process can be long, very long.
    I once went for a job interview in the summer of 2009, somewhere in Slough, where they took a week to call me of my success at the interview, but didn't have an immediate placement for me, now was that frustrating or is that frustrating? Considering it was a £450 p/d contract....
    It took another 2 summers and 2 winters before they called me to tell me that they found a placement for me, but by then it was too late.
    Don't let these delays / disappointments get to you, because where there is doubt, confidence wanes.

    Oh jumping out of the 1st floor window of your apartment is definitely not an interview skill, lol.

    Good luck with the job applications, waiting for the buses, having great expectations of gifts etc.

    You can do it, just be patient, but determined.

    Mwah

    ReplyDelete