Saturday 12 January 2013

2/4

So far I've made 4 job applications and received 2 rejections. I always expected reality to hit a little harder - not with the Civil Service one, no one really aspires to work for the Civil Service, or maybe that's just coming from the child of two long-serving veterans - but I put a lot of effort in to every law application I make, so I was expecting it to, well, hurt a little when I didn't even get to the online test stage.

If I'm honest though I feel nothing. Maybe it's the faceless, extremely impersonal, generic email they send you politely informing you they won't be needing your services; maybe it's my natural sheer determination in the face of adverse circumstances; maybe I just didn't really want to work for Linklaters (even though I went through the effort of making a contact and everything!); maybe I'm just too overwhelmed with everything else to even care. The point is, whether or not I want it to, it's not getting me down.

On that positive note, I took the initiative every young and still hopeful person not wanting to live in their parents house for the rest of their lives should take and called the HR department to be like "dafuq man? I'm the HNIC, how could you reject me?!" They didn't pick up. Well never mind, because I called up another firm that hadn't responded to me in a while (I get anxious about these sorts of things) and they sent me this in reply:

I just wanted to confirm that we have received your tests scores and you have passed all 3 tests, your application is now under review and we will be in touch over the next few weeks with an outcome.
Yay. Only a few more weeks to wait.  I'm still waiting for any sort of response from another firm I applied to, but this is certainly not the end of the road. I'm planning on doing yet another law application today and have contacted a friend to give me some tips about applying for company X (oohhh how mysterious). Joy.

Considering what I know of the real world, 2/4 ain't bad really. But I haven't actually been accepted by the other two positions - they're still pending - so, considering the current trend, it's probably time I started re-thinking that 'running away to China' plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment