Tuesday 16 July 2013

Holiday #3: Martijana go to Malta

Things have happened - I'm sorry for not writing to you. I know how bereft you must have felt without the constant updates of the banalities of my daily life. Let me enlighten you, please.

But seriously, actual things have happened. I graduated for one - here's a series of proof:

Flatmates with ceremonial bagpiper
That's right, we went to uni in Scotland

Me, Martha and Serrena
Martijana - check out the kilt kids














A small portion of The Chinese Crew




I will have the grand, official photo up as soon as possible.

The ceremony itself went by in a flurry of activity (I'm apparently called Ediyana Obi-...*hrumph*-Guest now), with barely enough time to cheer for each friend before being swatted off the stage with a hat that almost went - *but didn't quite make it* - to space. The day was long, v. tiring though, between preparing, obtaining robes, taking photos, taking official photos, ceremony-ing, more photos, more photos, photos, omg so many photos, and returning robes. Then we had to run off to catch the train at 6pm, after a rushed wine and cheese reception at the Chinese department, because the next day....

...I had a rehearsal for my cousin's wedding, in which I was a bridesmaid! It was a full on Nigerian affair - smack bang in the middle of London, in a very expensive hall with probably too many guests and overall just a little too much. But, I suppose, that's what made it such a glorious day. The weather was superb and at least the bride and groom had a spectacular wedding day. The bridesmaids' dresses were actually quite nice and I'm definitely considering reusing mine for a less grandiose event.

Groom's Family 


Me with cousin + fellow bridesmaid Efe
Mum in full traditional with Colin


Ok, now on to the eponymous holiday. You may be thinking "Holiday #3? Where was 2 (or 1 for that matter, if you're not a regular reader)" Well, for 1, do your research, as for 2 it was the trip I took to Aberdeen to see the land of my lover. Although, I don't think it really deserves it's own post in comparison to the charms (and heat) of Malta.

As we spent almost everyday at the beach or just generally wondering around in the sunshine on the very small islands that make up Malta, there's not actually that much to relate. We stayed in Bugibba in St. Paul's Bay, which seems to be 'British Base Camp 1' in the northwest of Malta. Besides visiting the capital - which is really only a half-day trip - there's not much to do besides chill out. The beaches in the north such as Mellieħa and Golden Bay are rightly famous sandy beaches, with parasols and loungers still affordable.





We also visited the second Island of Gozo, having booked a day bus trip to take us around. Jo - the busdriver - was a complete lad but also a bit of a time Nazi. If we didn't have a specific but obscure time to get back (12:35, TWELVE THIRTY-FIVE) it was 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 35 minutes, 1 hour 10 minutes.
At least it was pretty. Besides Malta and Gozo, there's also the island of Comino, which offers only a secluded swim in the famous blue lagoon and is home to just 5 permanent residents.



Martin is impressively not that burnt, but that may be due to the fact that I spent half my time chasing him around with the factor 30 while he insisted in lounging in the midday sun. He is a little pink, but again I've been attacking him with after sun, so peeling is a minimum. White people.



The food was good - especially the random Bulgarian Some friends may be shocked to learn I ate ice cream and, on more than one occasion, *wait for it*...Pizza. Blame Martin.




No comments:

Post a Comment