Sunday 9 March 2014

My first week at work/Delete!

OK, a little late as I've actually completed two weeks of work now, but it's been a heavy settling in period you know? I think it's going alright, there's really no way to tell with these things, is there? I mean, it's not a formal training plan, everything's very chiiillled, and yet there are deadlines. Daily deadlines. It's a little weird (as I have to keep explaining to people on the phone). I would explain what it is I do exactly, but I like to keep people on tenterhooks. Also, it's kind of hard to explain. Maybe I'll give it a whack later on.

I'm sorry for the  rambliness of these sentences. I wake up very early. My working hours are 7:30-5, meaning I have to wake up at 5. Yeah. I even got sick this week, which was probably due to a combination of new schedule, waking up early, and the fact that everyone on SouthEastern is ill, and yet no one seems to feel the need to cover their mouth when they cough.

Things are on a schedule: meals, the gym, social media. Expect these posts to get fewer and further between. Yes I have started going back to the gym - mainly classes though as working out of one's own volition is just plain boring. I tried Yoga and Zumba, which I think I'll stick with, with a bit of pilates and swimming thrown in when I have the time. Those of you who know I've always dissed Yoga heavily, the change of tune comes because I've now accepted the fact that I'm probably too inflexible for a 22 year old, and the fact that I really struggled with the downwards-facing dog means that I should realistically keep going. Also it's really helped with my breathing.

The office and the people I work with are cool and laid back. We even occasionally have an office dog, which our MD is in love with, and helps to alleviate the compete lack of tension within the office space. One complaint - it does get really warm. And then really cold, because I sit next to the window which has to be opened for all the people who don't, despite the fact that it's still spring so everyone needs to calm down and take their jumpers off. No but it was quite warm actually. There was even some (premature) talk of turning the air conditioning on, which my editor strongly objected to. Office life, eh?

Oh, about the 'Delete' thing. You know how I now have a job, right? Is there some way of informing all the job alerts of this fact that I don't know about? I actually didn't know that I had subscribed to so many email updates - it's like the more I delete, the more pop up. Sometimes from accounts that I'm sure I've deleted already. I'm talking to you, Reed.co.uk. Deleting one's online presence has all of a sudden become challenging; why can't these things just fizzle out like Bebo?

So that's it really. Living in the UK = seeing friends more often + having very little time to one's self due to the need to earn a living. I miss uni. But  the settling period is over, spring has sprung, which means I should get on those other projects that I've been meaning to start/finish. There is no longer any excuse.

1st up, writing back to the Student Loans Company....

1 comment:

  1. If you still need to stop the job alerts you just have to unsubscribe at the bottom of the email :) xx

    ReplyDelete