Sunday 21 April 2013

What does '什么' mean again?

I think it says something about the decline in one's language ability when - upon opening a practice paper - you get stumped by the first 4 characters. In my defence, I haven't really read anything in Chinese or practiced my characters (or been to Chinese class) for a few months. Wait, is that a defence?

I can practically feel your shock through the screen. The title of my degree is, indeed, "Chinese MA Hons", but did you know friends that the actual language portion of my degree counts for only 20 credits out of 120. 20/120. 1/6 (<<<<<maths). At least for this year - I'm not actually sure how much of our degree rests upon our year abroad/ actually being able to speak in Chinese. Anyway, when I get to my oral and they find that I can't remember the word for 'language ability', on their heads it will be. Maybe you should put the oral at the beginning of the year, huh?

Or maybe I should actually make some more effort? I am planning on going back to China....and how I do in this section of the exam diet (occurring oh-so-imminently) will probably affect the rest of my grades too. I think I was kind of assuming that I'm gonna do well in everything else. And you know what they say about assumptions....

So, need to get my sh*t together, in short. How have I only just come to this realisation, you ask? I'm usually a bit more aware of my limited capabilities, and much more willing to do something about it (you know, 笨鸟先飞 and all that), but recently I've been a bit more of a 闲人 (now, although this literally translates as 'idler', I'm gonna take a less literal approach and interpret it as 'wasteman'). Well, again in my defence, I've been concentrating a bit more on my seriously overbearing, often boring, and in some cases far too confusing, content courses.

Those who study Politics and Policy in Contemporary China, can I get an amen?

But no more. With what feels like 48 hours until my whole world comes crashing down, I've decided to re-open the ol' pack of flashcards-I-made-in-China-when-I-was-super-keen-and-apparently-a-lot-smarter-than-I-am-now. Man I've forgotten a lot. Too late? Never. I am determined. Library from 8am everyday from now till forever!!

Now I've just got to add all these extra flashcards from this year, figure out why Structure and Agency are important, and essentially re-learn everything about China and Chinese (not forgetting traditional characters w/ancient meanings for literature :D) by the end of this month. Seems legit.

2 comments:

  1. Hello baby girl (okay daughter)....
    I would've thought there would be a few people to converse with in Chinese up in Scotland, or maybe there's a China Town like you have here in London?
    Not Good, not good, not good sweetheart, you better go look for a Chinese community or market in Scotland and start mingling with them ASAP lol.

    I do trust however that all you scripted in your blog is just one great big joke? You seriously can't have forgotten what you learnt, picked up and applied in China? Surely not!!!

    I have some Chinese friend and colleagues who are readily available to `nee hau' (whatever) with you, but we have to find some kinda medium for this to happen. lol

    Anyway, how are you, I hope it is getting warmer in up in Scotland? Its nice and sunny down south, but I don't know what the weather is gonna be like for this long weekend as I haven't checked the weather forecast....

    Was thinking of you and your mum few days ago, in fact I haven't spoken to your mum for quite a while.

    If you WhatsApp can you kindly ping me sometime?

    Hoping to see you in London soon sweetheart. Good luck for your final exams, tutorials etc and I'm sure you'll be graduating with `First Class Honours'; because I'm 100% certain that you are up to it.

    Love always
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Yes there are people here to talk to, I think I'm just panicking a bit. I haven't forgotten everything, but it's been a long time since I spoke/wrote/read Chinese so my exam next week should be interesting. Needless to say I'm practising everyday.

      I'm fine, the weather's not freezing, but it still hasn't settled down yet. I'm fine - protecting myself from any illnesses that try and creep up during the exam period. Are you feeling better? My mum says you're at home now and she's going to visit you. I'll come and see the new house when I'm back...mid-June.

      Thank you for your confidence! See you soon xx

      Delete